With heavy hearts we closed the door on the Langholstvegur apartment, and caught a taxi to the BSI Bus Terminal for an early lunch at the renowned restaurant – Fljótt og Gott. This is where the locals eat. Proper home cooking, without a hefty price tag. We’ve always enjoyed eating here, and come at least once during each trip. We both selected from the ‘specials’ menu, but shied away from the singed sheep’s head, because quite frankly, I don’t want a pair of eyes staring back at me from my plate. I chose the roast pork, potatoes and brown sauce (gravy), whilst Rich went for the mixed meat stew, topped with a fried egg. With soup and salad included, neither of us could finish what we were given, or face pudding. Excellent value at £20 all in, including hot drinks, in what’s supposed to be one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Singed sheep head - an Icelandic delicacy
Singed sheep head – an Icelandic delicacy

Our bellies full, we boarded the 1.30pm flybus back to Keflavik Airport. The 50 minute drive through the lava fields is very scenic, especially on what was a sunny day. We quickly checked in at the Iceland Air kiosks just inside the entrance, only realising a little too late that that we’d been seated apart – it seemed that everyone else had checked in online. Rich quipped that he was sure he could survive two rows back from me, so we dropped our bags off and headed back outside to visit our favourite brightly coloured sculpture thingy, for some pictures and fresh air.

SAM_9024 SAM_9025

It’s called ‘The Rainbow’, and was created by Icelandic artist Rúrí. It’s 24 metres high, made of steel and glass, and I think it’s beautiful. I’ve always been drawn to sculpture, but never to trying to create it myself surprisingly. Maybe that will come later in life.

Back at the airport terminal, we wondered why some tourists actually believe the adverts that say that the prices here are cheaper than in the city because they’re tax free. Most of the prices are marked up, believe you me, and you’ll certainly find them cheaper in Reykjavik, and most definitely outside of the city.

On the plane I was sat next to ‘gin and tonic’ couple who definitely didn’t want to talk to me. So after watching a lovely South African children’s film about a cheetah – without headphones because we’re too tight to spend extra for them, and I couldn’t face getting my ipod out of the overhead locker, I decided to annoy the female of the couple by watching ‘The Following’ over her shoulder. She’d very kindly downloaded it beforehand, and I didn’t need subtitles or sound to realise that it was a bit gruesome. Still, it’s saved me having to buy the DVD.

Without Rich by my side though, in my eagerness to get off the plane and escape the unfriendly couple, I managed to leave my little medication bag and book in my seat pocket. Unfortunately, this then meant waiting an extra 45 minutes at Heathrow whilst the bag was retrieved. I never did get the book back, but if you requisitioned my hard to find copy of ‘Democracy in Chile’, I hope you’ve enjoyed it.

Eventually we got to the car, but were by now so tired that we didn’t realise that the engine warning light was on until we’d made moves. Keeping everything crossed, we set off for home, but almost immediately managed to drive into an area that you’re not supposed to drive into. A policeman and car suddenly appeared alongside us, asked where we were going, and when Rich replied “I’m sorry, I’m deaf, and trying to get us home”, the policeman responded “I suggest you follow me then sir”. And promptly escorted us, at speed, to the motorway. When he flashed his lights goodbye, other drivers turned to see who the VIP’s in the Honda were. Rich was in his element 🙂